Retirement Party Themes
Retirement party themes can turn a boring party into a fun-filled,
A theme helps to give an overall meaning to a party.
After you choose a theme for your retirement party,
coordinate the invitations, food, decorations, and favors to go along
with the theme.
Below are some theme ideas to help get you started in planning your party.
If you know that the retiree is planning on doing a lot of traveling, then use a theme centered around traveling.
Some ideas are:
“Bon Voyage” Theme
This is a theme that you can go all out with.
Some suggestions are:
- Make boarding pass invitations.
- Have a sign-in board for the guests to write their best wishes on as they enter the party.
red, white, and blue balloons for decorations.
- To stay with the formal
atmosphere, use white linens, white plates, and crystal glasses.
- Serve a buffet meal with the retirees favorite foods.
- Have martinis, fancy cocktails, and champagne to drink.
Be sure there is plenty of room for the guests to dance later in the evening.
Tropical or Luau Theme
If the retiree is planning a trip to Hawaii, get him started with a Luau retirement party theme.
Some suggestions for your theme are:
your backyard with tiki torches, paper lanterns, tropical plants, and
- Wrap grass skirts around the buffet table.
- Place sea
shells and citronella candles on the tabletops.
- Set out a basket full of
colorful leis for the guests to take and wear during the party.
roast pork or Hawaiian chicken skewers, a fresh green salad, baked
yams, and fresh tropical fruit to eat.
- Have a pineapple cake for
Around the World
For the retiree that is planning on traveling the world, have a “Globe Trotting” or "Around The World" retirement party.
with travel brochures, maps, globes, and decorations from around the
Serve different and unique foods from around the world.
If the retiree is planning a trip
south of the border, throw a “Fiesta” retirement party.
This is a simple
and easy party to plan.
- Make your own invitations to look like a
- Use red and green as your color scheme.
- String up chili lights.
- Use sombreros, maracas, and small pinatas to help set the south of the
- Serve a buffet with chicken fajitas, flour tortillas, Mexican rice, and plenty of chips and salsa.
Be sure there is plenty of room for your guests to dance the Salsa or Tango. You could even have a limbo contest!
SPORTS RETIREMENT PARTY THEMES
For the retiree who loves golf, have a golf tournament or a “Teeing Up for an Amazing Retirement!” party.
- Use golf scorecards for your invitations. Print the invitation wording on the back of the cards.
with green and white.
- Use golf themed tableware – plates, napkins,
- Place golf equipment around the room for decoration.
hamburgers or hot dogs as your meal. Or you can have a sandwich bar and
let the guests make their own sandwiches.
- For beverages, serve beer,
ice tea, lemonade, and sodas.
- For retirement party favors, give golf balls or tees.
Consider having a picnic and attending a baseball game. Or have a “Home Run of a Career!” party.
invitations that look like a baseball and open up with the party
information. Or make a baseball ticket and print the party information
on the front.
- Make a “Happy Retirement Scoreboard” and have a sign-in board for all the guests to sign with their best wishes as they arrive.
with the retirees favorite baseball team's colors.
- Set out bags of
peanuts, boxes of cracker jacks, and bowls of popcorn.
- Set out
baseballs, mitts, and bats for decoration.
- For the meal, serve hot dogs, nachos, beer, and sodas.
For a football themed retirement party, make it a tailgating party.
- Send out football ticket invitations.
with the retirees favorite football team's colors.
- Use a large
inflatable football as the centerpiece.
- Set pom poms around the room and
string football lights around to give it that big-lights feeling.
- Set out a cooler filled with beer and sodas.
- Serve chili, hot wings or sub-sandwiches with plenty of chips and dips.
- For favors, give the guests small inflatable footballs to toss around.
JUST FOR FUN RETIREMENT PARTY THEMES
A "Casino Night" retirement party is a fun theme and everyone always has a great time.
Some ideas you might want to use are:
- Send out playing card invitations.
with black and red – linens, tableware...etc. You can even use black
and red balloons to help set a casino atmosphere.
- Use dice and playing
cards as decoration on the tables.
- Serve finger foods for your meal.
you are planning on playing games, hand out packets of fake money to
your guests to use to "gamble" with.
Set up tables for the guest
to play poker, blackjack, and roulette.
Have small prizes for the
Things That Don't Work Anymore
This theme is great for a laugh and a good time for all. Use your imagination for this theme and you can throw one memorable party that your guests and the retiree will be talking about for a long time..
Some ideas are:
- Have all the
guests bring items that no longer work to give to the retiree.
with broken clocks. However, have one alarm clock that is still ticking
away and let the retiree smash it during the party.
Plan a "Sock Hop" or "Rock n' Roll" retirement party.
- For a 50's sock hop, make invitations that look like a mini 45 record.
red and white gingham table cloths. Hang 45 records from the ceiling.
Set hula hoops and yo-yos out for the guests to "play" with.
the guests dress in 50's attire. Rolled up blue jeans and button shirts
for the guys. For the women, rolled up blue jeans and button shirts
with a chiffon scarf or poodle skirts, with sweaters and knee high
- Serve cheeseburgers, fries, and milk shakes for the meal.
- Don't forget the favors! Hand out fuzzy dice or black plastic sunglasses for your guests to remember this fun retirement party.
Retro Retirement Party Theme
If the 60's or 70's
were a favorite time of the retiree, have a "Rock n' Rol" or a "Disco"
party to help celebrate the retirement.
- Have the guests dress in
appropriate clothes of the time period – tie dyed t-shirts, bell bottom
- Decorate with peace signs, black lights, lava lamps, and
- Serve finger foods and fondue.
- For favors, hand out mood rings or anything with a yellow smiley face on it.
Hopefully, some of these retirement party theme ideas will help you plan a fun and memorable party.
Return to the top of Retirement Party Themes.
You Are Here:
» Retire American Style Home
» Planning A Retirement Party
» Retirement Party Themes